Derek Sherrod: 2011 Green Bay Packers Evaluation and Report Card
1) Introduction:Â Sherrod was drafted in the first round last April with the intent of being the future replacement for Chad Clifton and bookend tackle compliment to the previous year’s first round pick, Bryan Bulaga.Â Thanks to the NFL lockout, Sherrod would miss months of important technique instruction and studying the playbook.
Derek Lee Sherrod
Weight:Â 321 lbs.
3) Expectations coming into the season:Â Coming in cold thanks to the NFL lockout, it was hard to expect Sherrod to outperform either Clifton or Bulaga. Most observers felt he would earn the primary backup job at both positions. Sherrod was also given an opportunity to compete with TJ Lang for the left guard spot. He didn’t win either job, and then had his season come to a gruesome end in the Chiefs’ game.
4) Playerâ€™s highlights/low-lights:Â His season highlight was probably the week 5 game against Atlanta. With Bryan Bulaga out with an injury and Chad Clifton leaving after 15 plays with a hamstring injury, Sherrod slotted in at right tackle with Newhouse moving to the left side. Despite minimal experience at right tackle, Sherrod found his bearings and played reasonably well. He allowed no sacks or QB hits and garnered positive reviews from his coaches after the game. His lowlight, of course, was the Kansas City game.
5) Playerâ€™s contribution to the overall team success:Â Let not make any excuses, Sherrod’s first season was a disappointment. I was very high on him coming out of the draft and absolutely loved the pick by the Packers. I was still convinced that with a full off-season in the Packers’ program, you would see his talent flourish. But now, with at least a full off-season of rehab, it’s unclear what the future will hold for Sherrod.
6) Playerâ€™s contributions in the playoffs:Â None. He was on injured reserve.
Season Report Card:
(D)Â Level of expectations met during the season
(D-)Â Contributions to teamâ€™s overall success.
(N/A)Â Contributions to team during the playoffs
Overall Grade: Dâ€”â€”â€”â€”â€”â€”
Jersey Al Bracco is the founder and editor of AllGreenBayPackers.com, and the co-founder of Packers Talk Radio Network. He can be heard as one of the Co-Hosts on Cheesehead Radio and is the Green Bay Packers Draft Analyst for Drafttek.com.