Green Bay Packers WR Status: Jordy Nelson > James Jones???

33 responses

1. Max
    July 12, 2010

What strikes me about Jordy Nelson in that video is how well he ran on the turf. Maybe the games we play in New York/New Jersey, Detroit, Minnesota, etc. will be the places where Jordy will shine.

Jersey Al
      July 12, 2010

Easier to make fast cuts on turf, so it probably helps give him a little extra burst…

2. jeremiah
    July 12, 2010

here is how i define the two. jordy nelson has a better chance to become an above average reciever than james jones has a chance to become a stud reciever…if that makes sense.

nelson has the tools to become a very good posession guy, but lacks the explosiveness to become a dominant WR.

jones (in his rookie year) showed glimpses of being able to give opposing defenses fits. but hen it all fell apart after he fumbled like 42 times against chicago.

all in all, in the bet for who will have a better career i will take nelson for his solid and steady(for the most part) productivity.

Jersey Al
      July 12, 2010

Well, i don’t know how you define “stud” receiver, so I can’t see I really follow what you said. if you define stud as “star”, then I get it and agree.

3. Mr. Bacon
    Mr. Bacon
    July 12, 2010

I just find it funny that the Packers fans are squabling over who is the better #4 receiver.

Jay Cutler wishes he had a #1 at least, while we are nitpicking to good receivers, who could be #1′s on a bad team.

Jersey Al
      July 12, 2010

haha. haven’t seen you in awhile. Good to see you’re still sizzlin…

Mr. Bacon

Just the offseason bud.

The Packers are going about their usuall way. Proboly the only story relevent to Packers as of now, is the flavor of Gatorade they will use this season.

Everything else is just smooth sailing.

• PackersRS
        July 12, 2010

As long as it’s not grapes, I’m happy… Kinda have a problem with orange, too.

4. Yoop
    July 12, 2010

Al you have to look at it this way, it’s a nice problem to have for the Packers. How many teams have this kind of depth at the WR position.
    I was accused by the TP posters of having a man crush on Nelson, I had posted so much about him and had them taking him in every mock I did.
    Both Jones and Nelson bring things that work well in the offense.
    I think Nelson has the ability to much better then most think.
    He is prototypical WR for this offense as outlined by Bill Walsh.
    Nelsons size and route running area great fit.
    I can’t wait to see Nelson and Jones fight it out this training camp and pre season.

Jersey Al
      July 12, 2010

I agree with you on Nelson and have also felt that way since the draft. This is his 3rd year, so the time is ripe, but he’s just not going to get the chances. His time will have to wait…

5. Asshalo
    July 12, 2010

They could both be productive Packers for several years to come.

Jersey Al
      July 12, 2010

And they most likely will be. I just think that if Nelson were given a starting job (in GB or elsewhere), he would shine.

6. PackersRS
    July 12, 2010

I just think, with the way this offense is ran, whoever gets open gets the ball. I understand about reads, but if Jones or Nelson are considered true #2 receivers, aligning them against #3 and #4 cbs will provide consisntant matchup problems. They need to beat their lesser opponent and get open more often, hold onto the ball more often, and make more plays after the catch.

I get the opportunities thing, but it’s up to them to make the most of the opportunities and win the job. Jennings plain stole Robert Ferguson’s job in 06. Jordy or Nelson should do the same to a 35 year old DD.

Jersey Al
      July 12, 2010

Donald Driver is not Robert Ferguson…

• PackersRS
        July 13, 2010

Never said he was, and a 35 DD is miles better than Ferguson in his prime. But Jennings, though a superb talent, was a rookie coming from a small school. He went onto leading all receivers in yards during preseason, which got him the starting spot.

Cmon people, what’s with you and not geting the context?

I see it like this: if either Jordy or Jones are given the job (a.k.a. Driver can’t perform), we’re screwed. If they’re indeed the future #2 Wr, they should contend for it, rather than just be good enough to be handed the job.

They probably will never be as good as Driver, but I expect them to play as well as Freeman did.

Taryn
      July 12, 2010

Packers RS you made me JUMP!!!The way the Packers play is whoever gets open gets the ball???Playground offense?LOL
      What will decide the faith of Jordy and James is who will be the surer outlet receiver.DD has a route as does Jennings and may I add PLANNED.The others are planned also but with a diffrent purpose.
      As for the article I believe Jordy gets it for his edge cut,agility,concentration and drive for the spot.

Jersey Al
        July 12, 2010

I would agree that Nelson is the surer target for Rodgers. I.e., most likely to be where he’s supposed to be.

• PackersRS
        July 13, 2010

Context my friend. Cmon, I didn’t want to write an article, but at least get the point. It’s obvious that it’s not like I wrote, it’s not pee wee football and I expected someone like you to understand it, but the offense doesn’t revolve around a go-to-guy. The #1 read isn’t always DD or Jennings, or Finley. Sure, Rodgers will look more for those 3, because they’re the most likely to have run the route and get the ball, but getting open IS a fact. Finding the spot in the zone and beating the man coverage are examples of getting open. It’s not mechanic, 1/3 of the time the designed routes won’t work for that D, and you’ll depend on the ability of the receiver to beat it. http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/final-point-defense. Look at the video. What makes the play work isn’t the superb design, but rather the quick diagnostic of Hines Ward, coming back for the ball, but not far enough so he misses the first down. That’s what I’m talking about.

7. John Rehor
    John Rehor
    July 12, 2010

I have said for a while that Jones has the chance to step up and make a significant impact this season. I think back to his 07 season when he was a rookie, and he was solid if not spectacular. After his injury marred 08, he rebounded with a solid 09.

What I dont like about Nelson is that he did not make the most of his opportunity when Jones was injured in 08 and did not make any significant improvement last season. On paper, Nelson looks to have the better potential, but can’t seem to overtake Jones for #3.

Ideally, a combo of Nelson and Jones makes sense, especially for this offense. Adding a 4th target for Rodgers to throw to could rack up some serious yardage and add another dimension to the passing game. In the long run though, I think Jones will have the better pro career…but not by much.

8. Andy Tisdel
    July 13, 2010

I kind of think back to Nelson’s rookie year, when he didn’t drop a single pass. How many rookies can pull that off?

The knock on Jones, to me, is he seems to play soft. Like the scouting report says, he’s extremely strong in the upper body for a wideout, but he doesn’t fight for extra yards or knock ‘em out blocking like a Donald Driver does. I wonder if the contract year could provide some extra impetus for him to start playing more physically?

Taryn
      July 13, 2010

Andy
      That last sentence to me justifies reasons for Jordy over Jones.
      I know players want money and it motivates some to give more,but how do you give more money to a player who doesn’t seem MOTIVATED.
      I would implore the Packers to be very stingy when it comes to the “Garanteed” part of a knew contract with Jones.Jordy has proved his mettle already and looks to do more,Jones seems to be possibly “just looking for money”.
      Already doing what FA’s do and he isn’t YET.

Jersey Al
      July 13, 2010

Nelson is all-out all the time. I don’t get that feeling from Jones.

9. Tarynfor12
    Taryn
    July 13, 2010

Oh I forgot to mention that while Jordy was honing his ability to get a WR spot he was doing RET’s also.What was Jones doing other than not making a stronger push than Jordy for the spot,as he only played WR and the numbers on both side for Jordy.

10. Tarynfor12
    Taryn
    July 13, 2010

Allow me to say something and then the context in which it is taken is open.

Taking down an Institution like DD is not easy for the so called next in line or the coaching staff for that matter.We are not talking Jennings and Ferguson but,Driver and Nelson and yes I said NELSON.

This debate of Nelson or Jones has already been settled by what Nelson was assigned and what Jones wasn’t.Jones needed to concentrate on 1 position and couldn’t make Nelson dissappear.

This is the same thing between Favre and Rodgers and one of many deciding factor(s) going with Rodgers was that INT and the flipping of the retirement crap again.The ORG had enough and made the change.The same thing will happen with DD and not until DD fails or is injured.Nelson isn’t taking anything away from DD as Rodgers wasn’t taking it from Favre.Nelson is 3rd and will be no matter how much he does until then.

Some or saying Jordy will only be a good #2 and I feel otherwise of that false belief.Is that to mean he should after 3 years be in position to not only bump DD but Jennings also.Alot to ask or expect from 1 guy and yet defend another who hasn’t stepped up half as much.

It’s not easy to sit an Institution and maybe harder to just acknowledge it.ALA Favre.A bold thing to do but I would expect it early this season.

PackerRS,no offense but Nelson is the guy who can do what Ward did,when the routes breakdown he’s there.The question should be,”when DD goes down or can’t cut it and Nelson moves to #2 is Jones really a true #3?

Jones is the one who will be given something,while Nelson is taking and is EARNING it but, won’t get it until that faithful last day for DD.

• Carrie
      November 20, 2011

Jordy all the way!

11. JonBob
    July 23, 2010

I’m not picking a side on this debate…yet. Let’s see what happens in camp and preseason…and maybe the first few games of the season…and maybe after DD retires…if he ever does.

12. johnny joice
    February 18, 2011

as a relative of James I am insulted about the rumors of my nephew being homeless. There were inappropriate decisions made by the indiduales that raised him!

Jersey Al
      February 18, 2011

So what is the real story then?

13. johnny joice
    May 11, 2011

My sister place them into apartments and provided funds for them. My sister also obtained his mother a job at HP and she was fired ! They also moved into my sisters home.

14. Carrie
    November 20, 2011

Why isn’t my comment showing up?

15. Repetitive Strain Injuries
    March 4, 2012

Magnificent issues altogether, you just gained a new reader. What may you suggest about your publish that you made some days ago? Any positive?

mobile desktop