It’s Time to Right this Wrong – Jerry Kramer Belongs in the NFL Hall of Fame

19 responses

1. Ron LC
    July 13, 2011

Thanks for initiating this effort Al. No one deserves this honor more than Jerry. I’m doing my emailing starting now.

I remember suffering through Scooter McLain’s tenure but always being hopeful because the Oline was taking shape in that miserable year. No one had more serious health problems than Jerry. Yet, after each cirsis he came back stronger than before. The broken leg on a kickoff was a bad. But the stomach infection due to a piece of wood lodged in that area from an old hunting accident was the worst. For a time his life was in the balance. Yes, he came back and was the lead blocker on the Lombardi sweep for many great years. The only reason he didn’t make the hall was the idiot reporters decided that the Lombardi Packers already had more than their share of HOF members. So, lesser linemen got the honor and Jerry stayed outside.

It is time to correct this error! Everyone else that enjoys Al and his minions shuld spend some time helping to get this GREAT PACKER the honor he has earned and deserves.

GO PACK – Play Ball!

2. iccyfan
    July 13, 2011

Wonderful article! I have a 17 year-old son who loves the Packers and devours books on their history. Just this weekend, he presented his case to me on why Jerry Kramer deserved HOF induction and I did my best to explain why it’s eluded him (difficult task). He’s away on a college visit but I can’t wait to show him your article upon his return this evening. Great job!

3. Curley2808
    July 13, 2011

I believe it was SI’s Peter King who said they’ve maxed out inductees on that GB team with 4 (I think) players and Lombardi. He said something silly about how they would have to pull Vince out if they let Kramer in because “how good a coach do you have to be to win with 5 players in the HOF?” Argument doesn’t hold water when you’re talking about the 60′s Packers and Vince Lombardi.

Jersey Al
      July 13, 2011

yeah, that’s a pretty dumb statement from king… Steelers have 8 or nine in the Hall plus Knoll from their seventies era.

• Michalske
        July 13, 2011

Al, that’s exactly why I didn’t like the Swann and Stallworth inductions. Sure, those guys may belong, but if I were on that committee I’d have been ‘swapping votes’ for Kramer.

FWIW the 60′s Packers have a total of 9 players plus Lombardi in the HoF (Starr, Hornung, Taylor, Gregg, Davis, Jordan, Nitschke, Adderley and Wood). That is more than any other ‘team’ (played for same franchise at same time), even the 70′s Steelers, but it doesn’t make Kramer any less deserving — 5 championships in 7 years make the 60′s Packers more ‘Famous’ than any other group of men who played pro football together.

• Mark Beranek
        October 30, 2011

Don’t forget about Jim Ringo. GO PACK GO !!

• PackersRS
      July 13, 2011

Peter King being in the voting process is the clearest statement that the system is completely flawed.

That man is an imbecil who doesn’t know anything about football and carries on based on being a brown-nosed “reporter” and spewing out cliché lines that appeal to the most fairweather of fans.

Also, shame on Cliff Christl. He should be doing a much better job with Kramer and Sharper, but he has some personal agenda against both of them.

4. Robert Occhipinti
    July 13, 2011

I believe Jerry Kramer has been a no brainer for the HoF for years. As a Rams fan I have to compare him to the HoF guard Tom Mack. Mack’s career was very similar to Kramer’s in every way except team achievement. I agree completely that Kramer deserves to be in. Mack did make 11 Pro Bowls, but he was only named once as First Team All-Pro (5 overall) where Jerry Kramer was First Team every year he was named All-Pro. The fact that he was also versatile enough to contribute as a kicker and only missed games in 2 of 11 seasons despite mounting injuries is an added caveat to his legacy. Mack was also a 10 time failed finalist before being inducted in his 11th try as a finalist.

The only reasoning, faulty at best, that can be made against Kramer you went over very well: lack of Pro Bowls – Kramer was oft injured and I’m sure that had more to do with his lack of Pro Bowls than his talent. Quantity of HoF teammates – a very specious argument, especially for a guard whose job is opening and closing holes to make his teammates look good. Professional Bias – this isn’t even an argument, it’s prejudice and has no place in voting for a lifetime on field achievement like the Hall of Fame.

Overall Jerry Kramer is at least equal to Tom Mack both in quality of play and impact on his team’s performance. Over Mack’s 13 seasons the Rams averaged 22.71 points on offense while Kramer’s Packers averaged 23.07 during his 11 seasons. Kramer added 177 points as a kicker and 5 NFL Championships put him over the top in this fans opinion.

My final analysis is the article is great and the sentiment expressed is valid. This Rams fan is 100% in the Jerry Kramer for Hall of Fame corner.

Jersey Al
      July 13, 2011

Hey Robert – thanks for the comments! I remember Mack well. he was definitely deserving…

5. Wiscokid
    July 13, 2011

Amen brother. It it is indeed a mockery of justice that he isn’t in the HOF already.

6. Steve Tate
    July 19, 2011

This is great info Al and I will be sending off my email to all of these people letting them know that I too AGREEE that Jerry should be in the Pro Football HOF!! Thanks!!!!

7. Steve “the OWNER” Tate
    July 20, 2011

I got my emails sent off to the HOF Sr Committee (one bad email address):dpompei@tribune.com;rgosselin@dallasnews.com;john.mcclain@chron.com;rborges@bostonherald.com;bjmiklasz@post-dispatch.com;john.czarnecki@foxsports.com;dgoldberg@ap.org;imiller@sportsxchange.com;badgerlen@aol.com

8. BILL HEISER
    July 22, 2011

THE HALL OF FAME SHOULD RUN FOR DAYLIGHT AND GET THE OLD ZIPPER IN. COME ON JUDGES GET OFF YOUR BUTTS
    AND DO THE RIGHT THING

9. Shavager
    August 23, 2011

What a thrill it was to watch those Packer teams, being a fan as long as I’ve been, I had the opportunity to watch(on television) Hornung score 5 TD’s against the Colts in ’65, saw the ’65 championship game in which Taylor, Hornung dominated the stats while Nitschke, Davis harassed Browns and Jim Brown all game. Watched Green Bay beat Dallas for ’66 and ’67 championships as well as win SB 1 and 1. Jerry Kramer was an integral part of those championships and a standout performer at his position. JERRY KRAMER IS A HOF’er, it’s PAST TIME FOR OFFICIAL ELECTION.

10. Dutch Lawson
    October 7, 2012

I bought a Signed Jersey because I think he belongs. I support the comments of why he belongs. The question that needs to be answered is: Why isn’t Jerry Kramer nominated every year? With all the support I have seen, there has to be a very specific underlying reason. He must have fans on the nominating committee. He should, at the VERY LEAST, be nominated every year.

11. Bobby Gans
    February 18, 2013

More proof that fat lardass idiots that never played the game have zero business deciding who should be in the HOF. Kramer not in is just a joke!! Plain and simple!!

mobile desktop