Robert Francois: 2011 Green Bay Packers Evaluation and Report Card
1) Introduction: In a little bit of trivia, Robert Francois has the ignoble distinction of being the player cut on the Minnesota Vikings roster in 2009 to make room for one Brett Lorenzo Favre (so the Packers won twice with that transaction it seems). Other than that, Francois has been relatively quiet while being buried behind bigger names like AJ Hawk, Desmond Bishop, Nick Barnett and Brandon Chillar. But with Chillar and Barnett no longer on the team, Francois became a primary backup to AJ Hawk.
Weight: 255 lbs.
3) Expectations coming into the season for that player: Next to nothing; over his career with the Packers, Francois had started 1 game and recorded 3 tackles, all of which came on special teams.
4) Player’s highlights/low-lights: Highlights include stepping up during a 2-week stretch when AJ Hawk was hurt and managing to record an acrobatic interception in both of them as well as posting 13 tackles. Lowlights included pretty much any time Francois wasn’t the starter as he made only 2 special teams tackles and didn’t see any time on the field.
5) Player’s contribution to the overall team success: Moderate; considering what could have happened when both starting inside linebackers left the game, he and fellow backup DJ Smith filled in admirably and showed off the depth that the Packers still had at inside linebacker. Perhaps even more stunning was that communication on the field remained a non-factor as the coaching staff were forced to signal in plays from the sidelines after both “green dot” helmets (worn by Hawk and Bishop) were on the sidelines.
6) Player’s contributions in the playoffs: Francois was a healthy scratch against the Giants during the playoffs and did not make the 45-man active roster.
(C) Level of expectations met during the season
(C) Contributions to team’s overall success
(N/A) Player’s contributions in the playoffs
Overall Grade for the year: C——————
Thomas Hobbes is a staff writer for Jersey Al’s AllGreenBayPackers.com.