NFL Draft Prospect Profile: Whitney Mercilus, DE, Illinois
Green Bay Packers draft prospect profile: Whitney Mercilus.
- Whitney Mercilus, DE, Illinois
- 6-foot-4, 265 pounds
- Graduated high school with a GPA over 3.0 and his parents are from Haiti.
- 20 Yard Shuttle: 4.53 seconds
- 3 Cone Drill: 7.17 seconds
- 40 Yard Dash: 4.63 seconds
- Bench Press: 27.0 reps
- Broad Jump: 118.0″
- Vertical Jump: 32.0″
News & Notes:
Stock is rising after the combine…Finished with a NCAA-best 16 sacks in 2011 as a first-time starter…Forced nine fumbles in 2011, second highest in NCAA history…Led the Big Ten with 22.5 tackles for loss…First-team All-American and Big Ten honors…Won the Ted Hendricks award as the nation’s top DE…Unpolished and still developing…high-effort player.
What they’re saying about him:
- Dane Brugler (NFLDraftScout.com): “Attacks gaps and is a pesky rusher, finding ways to squirm into the backfield. Hard player to block cleanly.”
- Mark Potash (Chicago Sun Times: Potash quotes an NFL scout: ‘‘Mercilus is a speed rusher with excellent athletic ability. The question [is], will he be a one-year wonder or an up-and-comer? He could be productive as a 3-4 outside linebacker or a 4-3 edge guy.’
- Matt Bowen (National Football Post): “Wasn’t perfect in positional drills, but displayed enough athletic ability to align as a 4-3 DE or drop into coverage as a 3-4 backer. Plenty of discussion that Mercilus is a one-year wonder…let the tape be the judge of that.”
- Tries to blow past blockers on every play
- If someone teaches this kid an inside move or two, look out
- Lost outside containment only once in the above video
- You have to get a body on this kid, even when you run away for him
- Has one mission: Get upfield. Makes him susceptible to draws, but that’s coachable
- If the Packers draft this kid, I can see him becoming a huge hit in training camp because of his athleticism. Lots of ooohs and ahhhs during speed drills