NFL Draft Prospect Profile: Harrison Smith, S, Notre Dame
Green Bay Packers draft prospect profile: Harrison Smith
- Harrison Smith, S, Notre Dame
- 6-foot-2, 213lbs
- Of the strong and free safeties given a top 125 grade by NFLDraftScout.com prior to the Combine, only Smith (4.57) recorded a time under 4.66.
- 4.57 40yd dash
- 4.12 20 yard shuttle
- 6.63 3-cone drill
- 10.02′ long jump
- 34″ vertical jump
- 19 bench press reps
News & Notes:
One of the highest rated safeties in a draft considered extremely weak at the position. …. Intercepted seven passes as a junior, zero as a senior. … Appears suited to play the run well, but struggle in pass coverage. Not a good sign in a league where tight ends are only getting better. … Only player in Notre Dame history to register more than 200 tackles, 15 tackles for loss and 15 pass breakups.
What they’re saying about him:
Dane Brugler (CBS Sports) ”Plays stiff. Needs to be a more technically-sound tackler, often going for the knockout hit or forced fumble instead of wrapping up. Hits too high and loses leverage, allowing ballcarriers to pick up extra yards.”
National Football Post: “Isn’t a guy you want to trust to run with receivers down the field. However, because of his solid natural range and instincts, I can see him getting over the top and making plays in a center field type role as an NFL strong safety.”
NFL DraftSeason.com (Will Lomas): “As far as the safety class goes this one is relatively weak, but (Smith) provides good value on day two and can fill a need on a team that has good corners but needs to upgrade their run D.”
- Can definitely close. When he comes at you, look out
- Looks comfortable blitzing, which should make Dom Capers happy
- Tough to judge his pass coverage on this video since he’s off the screen on most pass plays, but I did notice a few instances where he didn’t get deep enough in zone coverage
- Does show a nose for the ball, though, if he winds up near the ball
- I could see his playmaking ability meshing well with the Packers defense. Worth a shot in round three, perhaps.