December

Packers Stock Report: Bring on the Seahawks Edition

Sam Shields

Packers CB Sam Shields is on the rise.

I’m writing this week’s Packers stock report while watching the Seahawks destroy the 49ers. After the Seahawks went up 14-0, my wife said that she hopes the Packers do not have to play the Seahawks in the playoffs.

I threatened to take back her Christmas present for uttering such nonsense. I want to play the Seahawks and I want to play them bad. I want to play them right now. Screw the Vikings. Bring on the Seahawks.

Beating the Seahawks in the playoffs would make me giddy. Every Packers fan should want to play the Seahawks again and beat the s**t out of them.

The Seahawks’ attitude after Fail Mary was a disgrace. Plus, Pete Carroll has always been a disgrace and it would be really sweet to beat him.

A Packers vs. Seahawks playoff matchup is what makes football awesome.

I’m getting all fired up just thinking about it. I need to calm down.

On to the stock report:

Rising

Aaron Rodgers
Welcome back to the rising category, sir. Please stay a while. At least through the first Sunday in February.

Sam Shields
Who put a quarter in Sam Shields? He’s like my little nieces and nephews when it’s time to open Christmas presents, all fired up and just attacking everything in sight. This aggression and emotion was nowhere to be found last season. Just like it makes me smile to see my little nieces and nephews tear into their presents, seeing Shields make picks and get to the QB on blitzes also makes me grin from ear to ear.

James Jones
Just another game with a touchdown from Jones. I’m not sure what else there is to say about Jones this season.

Steady

Mike Neal
A pass-rushing threat from the defensive line? This would be the ultimate Packers Christmas present. If you have any tape left over from wrapping Christmas presents, drop it off at Lambeau. The Packers need it to tape up Neal so he stays healthy the rest of the season. (ok, I’m done with the Christmas references now. Promise.)

Brad Jones
How about some love for Brad Jones? He made a few nice sticks at the goal line against the Bears and was tough again against the Titans. Brad Jones at middle linebacker…who woulda thought…

Josh Sitton
The guys up front deserve credit for the recent improvement in the run game. I’m sure the insertion of Evan Dietrich-Smith and Don Barclay has helped, but I’m going to stick with Sitton, the Packers best all-around lineman. Perhaps a review of the film will reveal other strong performances up front, but Sitton looked tough again on Sunday.

Falling

Erik Walden
He had an interception, but lost his starting spot to Dezman Moses. Walden was good early in the season, but faded once Matthews went down. Odds are Walden is still going to see the field fairly often, so hopefully he holds his own when he’s out there.

Sad Titans Fan
Poor guy. I hope he didn’t travel all the way from Nashville for Sunday’s game. What a way to spend Christmas.

Adam Czech is a freelance reporter and a Packers fan living in the Twin Cities. Follow Adam on Twitter. Read more of Adam's writing on the Packers here.

34 Responses to “Packers Stock Report: Bring on the Seahawks Edition”

1. Bubbaloo says:

Great article I agree on all points! However, I do believe Barclay has brought more to the O-line than we might give him credit for, the running game improved almost immediately upon his presence. The Jones “brothers” and Sam Shields, rising stars I wouldn’t have bet a nickel on at the beginning of the season! Shields actually seems to like contact, can you believe that? If this team can continue the improvement we’ve seen the past few weeks, we just might be looking at another Superbowl!

2. Dan "FireMMNow" Blakley FireMMNow says:

• Chad Lundberg says:

The Patriots were scoring craploads of points from week 8 to week 14, but they’ve looked vulnerable in the past two weeks. Looks can be pretty deceiving in the NFL.

The Seahawks are a better team than they were 10 weeks ago, but do you think they’re going to be scoring 50 points a game all the way to the Super Bowl?

I for one don’t believe for a minute they’re really that good. They’re still just the SeaHawks to me.

The Packers can take them, especially if they’re generating a pass rush from the D-line, and have learned to protect Rodgers better.

I get that you’re saying that you just wanna win the Super Bowl, but I wanna take it one step further by beating the “fail mary” team in route to winning the Super Bowl.

I say Bring em on!

• Dan "FireMMNow" Blakley FireMMNow says:

no they will not score 50 all the way to the superbowl, but they could definitely score 35. they have been in the top ten all year long on yards per play, and wilson is a much better player than he was 10 weeks ago. all i am going to say is be careful what you wish for.

nobody will remember in 10 years who a team played on their way to the superbowl. they only remember who won the superbowl.

• cow42 says:

could not agree more.

3. marpag says:

I want to play whichever team the schedule says we play. Let’s see… ATL, SF, WAS, SEA, MIN, CHI, DAL, NYG … whose a$$ do I not want to kick?

4. Chad Lundberg says:

The SeaChickens are just a bunch of frauds. I wasn’t scared of playing the 13-3 Falcons in 2010 (or 2012), and look what happened to them.

I’d have to be crazy to think the SeaHawks are as good as they look because if I honestly believed that, then I would have to believe they are hands down better than everyone else, which is ludicrous.

• marpag says:

No doubt the Seahawks are on a roll, and they’re a legitimate threat. But you’re right that they’re very much overrated right now – on offense, not on defense.

Everybody raves about their recent scoring binge, but come on, laying 108 point on ARI and BUF doesn’t really impress me that much – especially when a pathetic ARI offense turned the ball of EIGHT TIMES! Buffalo’s inept offense turned the ball over three times, which led directly to 17 points. (It should have been 21, but SEA’s “powerhouse” offense couldn’t punch it in after recovering a fumble on the BUF 9 yard line).

If you take out those two games, SEA’s points per game drops to 21, which would be 19th in the league. Woohoo.

They are NOT a great offense. They’re a grind it out offense behind M. Lynch. Wilson only throws an average of 191 yards per game, the same number as Mark Sanchez.

5. Tarynfor12 Tarynfor12 says:

If you feel you can’t take on all comers to achieve the Title of Champion…the odds are likely that you won’t.

6. Dan "FireMMNow" Blakley FireMMNow says:

i think the packers can beat the seahawks, but why wish to make things harder on yourself. if they have to play seattle, they will play seattle. but i would rather the packers play atlanta right now.

just look at what you see on the field. they tore apart a fantastic niners defense. wilson was throwing balls in tight windows. their WRs were making tough catches and their defense was hitting and tackling like the 85 bears.

and chad, i am glad that YOU were not scared of playing the falcons.

• Chad Lundberg says:

The reason I wasn’t afraid of the Falcons was because they barely beat us in the first meeting, and we had no run game then. The second time we faced them, we had a hot hand with James Starks at running back. That changed everything for the Falcons in that game.

I feel a very similar thing could happen with the Seahawks. We have an established running game, better quarterback protection, and penetration coming from Mike Neal and B.J. Raji. Those are three things we didn’t have in week 3.

• Oppy says:

FWIW, I didn’t look at the playoff victory in 2010 as having anything to do with James Starks.

I place that ass-whoopin’ directly on the smoldering intensity that Aaron Rodgers brought to that game. You could see it in his eyes while he was warming up before kickoff, and that look never left his face. I’ve never seen it before, or since. But that day, Rodgers made a statement about the caliber of QB he is, and he led that team to a statement win that day.

• Oppy says:

The Seahawks’ defense worries me- I think the level of physicality they are bringing each and every down right now is at a level that is off the charts- I don’t think the Packers have seen anything like it in years (And, yes, that’s including the 49ers D, or even Baltimore.)

However, I’m a firm believer that if you want to be the Champion, you not only accept all comers, but you eagerly welcome the top contenders.

Don’t get me wrong, you wouldn’t look a gift horse in the mouth if SF and SEA got bumped in the wildcard and somehow ATL was overtaken.

But, athletes play in the NFL to face top notch competition, to go up against the best, to prove they are the best. I’m willing to wager that the Packers players and coaches would love a shot at the Seahawks, AND the 49ers, and, if it were possible, ATL as well, on their way to a superbowl.

I guess, as a fan, I personally would take more satisfaction in seeing the Packers have to conquer the creme de la creme, and perhaps stumble, than be blessed with a soft path that leaves questions to their worth as the NFC representatives in the Superbowl.

But then again, I’m more interested in the journey than the destination… Color me an odd duck that actually relishes the competition more than the hardware.

• Shavager says:

Falcons have home field all the way through NFC title game, Packers have to get at least ONE win before matching with Falcons–that’s by beating Vikings and getting #2 seed, facing a wild card team first in Green Bay. So, IF Packers face Niners or Seahawks–it will be IN LAMBEAU FIELD. IF they face the Falcons in will be in the Georgia Dome, REGARDLESS. I’d like to see Pack KNOCK OFF Seahawks, go to GA Dome and knock off Falcons–Matty “Ice” has Packers on the brain, he’d need his best profession al game to beat GB.

7. Adam Czech says:

Everything everybody has said in these comments is 100 percent accurate. And it doesn’t change my mind.

Bring. On. The. Seahawks.

Don’t care what round. Don’t care where it’s played. Just bring it on.

• Chad Lundberg says:

You mean SeaCHICKENS, lol.

Seriously, they remind me of 2009 Rex Ryan’s Jets, if not worse. I’m not sure if even Rex would gloat like Caroll did when he “won” against Green Bay.

Someone needs to seriously just beat the snot out of them, and I’d be proud to see the Packers do that.

• Adam Czech says:

Well said, Chad.

But I actually don’t mind Rex Ryan. I think his bravado is genuine. Pete Carroll is just a delusional tool.

8. Lucas says:

I love the attitude that all GB needs to do is get to the Superbowl. Absolutely no fear of the AFC.

9. cow42 says:

• Oppy says:

Packers have a habit of taking teams that look better on paper, and making them look like paper tigers on the field.

Not always, but it has happened enough that I put little credence in position group-by-position group breakdowns like this one.

The Packers can play with anyone in the NFL when they’re dialed in.

Not to mention, the flaw in your breakdown is that you don’t match their RB vs. our RB, or their D line vs. our d line- they aren’t on the field at the same time. You have to look at the personnel and match ups that occur on the field, depth, and tendencies, etc.

• marpag says:

Uh-oh! Looks like Cow has soiled himself!

In addition to losing to the 49ers, the invincible Seahawks have LOST to such powerhouse teams as… the Cardinals (5-10), the Rams (7-7-1), the Lions (4-11) and the Dolphins (7-8). More, they needed overtime to squeak past the Bears less than a month ago.

Yeah, they’re a good team. But you’ll forgive me, I hope, if I don’t share your paralyzing and irrational fear of Seahawk invincibility.

• Oppy says:

“Burned.”

• cow42 says:

I guess you’ve decided to ignore the fact that they’ve beaten the Cowboys, Vikings, 49′ers, Patriots, and Packers…

They’re mich better than “good”.

• marpag says:

I didn’t mention the wins because no one questions that the Seahawks are capable of WINNING. I pointed to the losses to prove – conclusively – that the Seahawks are quite capable of LOSING, even to very bad teams. The FACT is that the Seahawks have lost FOUR TIMES to sub-500 teams, even to the lowly 4-11 Lions.

The Packers, on the other hand, have NEVER lost to a losing team. (And in reality, they didn’t really lose to the Seahawks, either).

10. GBPDAN says:

That Titans fan was sitting in good seats. Hopefully for him, he won a free trip to Lambeau to watch his favorite team play the Packers. Otherwise, he spent a lot of money for a flight, lodging, meals and prime seating, all just to watch his team get completely demolished in the cold.

11. FITZCORE1252 says:

Seattle’s OL has a starter named Breno. They lose.