Frank Zombo: 2012 Green Bay Packers Evaluation and Report Card
1) Introduction: Packers outside linebacker Frank Zombo appeared in just seven games for the Packers in 2012. Zombo has battled injuries for most of his three seasons in Green Bay and started this past season on the Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) list. His first game action did not come until week 11 against the Detroit Lions and he played sparingly from there. Zombo was not active for either of the team’s two playoff games.
Frank William Zombo III
- Age: 25
- Born:3/5/1987 in Sterling Heights, MI
- Height: 6’03″
- Weight: 254
- College: Central Michigan
- Rookie Year: 2010
- NFL Experience: 3 years
3) Expectations coming into the season: Zombo injured his hamstring before the team entered training camp and he was eventually placed on PUP. Having been hurt for most of the 2011 season, Zombo was not slated to be a prominent part of the team’s defensive scheme in 2012. It was unknown whether the team would get Zombo’s services at all and there had been some talk that the team might put him on season-ending injured reserve.
4) Player’s highlights/low-lights: Zombo did receive a game ball after the week 16 win over the Tennessee Titans but did little beyond that. Zombo did not appear for many snaps in any of the games in which he was active. In the week 17 game at the Minnesota Vikings, he played just one snap and was inactive for both playoff games. Zombo graded out below average overall and did not make any impact plays for the team this past season.
5) Player’s contribution to the overall team success: Zombo did not make any impact plays for the Packers this season. He was solid in the week 16 game against the Titans but his lengthy hiatus in recovering from the hamstring injury clearly did him no favors. He was simply not able to stay available and be effective. I, for one, will be surprised to see Zombo back in Green Bay next season.
6) Player’s contributions in the playoffs: Zombo did not appear in either playoff game.
Season Report Card:
(D+) Level of expectations met during the season
(D) Contributions to team’s overall success.
(NA) Contributions to team during the playoffs
Overall Grade: D——————
Jason Perone is an independent sports blogger writing about the Packers on "AllGreenBayPackers.comFollow Jason at: Jason Perone
Follow @JasonPerone Add to Circleson