Packers Bryan Bulaga: 2012 Player Evaluation and Report Card
1) Introduction: If Bryan Bulaga looked into a crystal ball, what would he see? Would he see a season where he finally stays healthy and is solid at right tackle? Would he see a move to left tackle? Would he see himself handing over half of his annual salary to me? It’d be nice if he saw the third scenario, but the first two are more likely.
- Age: 23
- Born: 03/21/1989 in Barrington, IL
- Height: 6’5″
- Weight: 314
- College: Iowa
- Rookie Year: 2009
- NFL Experience: 3 years
3) Expectations coming into the season: Lots of talk in training camp about this being Bulaga’s time to rise to pro-bowl status. Bulaga and Sitton were finally going to give the Packers some muscle in the running game and act like a brick wall for Aaron Rodgers. Unfortunately, Bulaga hobbled around and struggled early, then went down with a hip injury for good in week 9.
4) Player’s highlights/low-lights: The hip injury is the obvious lowlight. Bulaga says it’s not a Bo Jackson type of injury, but we’ll see. Rams defensive end Chris Long was held in check by Bulaga in week 7. Bulaga also stepped up big-time when the Packers needed him against Houston. An obvious lowlight was Bulaga’s terrible game against Seattle, where he looked like he was playing in quicksand.
5) Player’s contribution to the overall team success: Bulaga gave up 5 1/2 sacks in the first three games, then started to turn things around. When healthy, he’s a good pass protector and physical run-blocking. When healthy is the key phrase. He’s missed time the past two seasons. Bulaga is only 23, so hopefully the injuries stop and we can see if that pro-bowl talk is legit.
6) Player’s contributions in the playoffs: Bulaga looked good watching from the sidelines.
Season Report Card:
(C-) Level of expectations met during the season
(C) Contributions to team’s overall success.
(Inc.) Contributions to team during the playoffs
Overall Grade: C——————