Andy Mulumba 2013 Green Bay Packers Evaluation and Report Card
1) Introduction: Packers fans did not expect to hear the name “Andy Mulumba” as one of their defensive starters during the 2013 season. Mulumba was signed as an undrafted free agent out of Eastern Michigan. He was likely initially signed as depth and not much more and he was by no means a lock to even make the roster going into training camp. Thanks to injuries that decimated the Packers at the linebacker position, Mulumba was called upon in 14 games and started three.
2) Profile: Andy Mulumba
- Age: 23
- Born: 01/31/1990 in Luputa, Congo
- Height: 6’3″
- Weight: 260
- College: Eastern Michigan
- Rookie Year: 2013
- NFL Experience: 1 year
- Career Stats and more
3) Expectations coming into the season: Signed as an undrafted free agent, there was absolutely no guarantee Mulumba would even make the roster. With Clay Matthews and Nick Perry set as the Packers’ two outside linebackers, Mulumba’s addition was strictly for depth and that’s about it. Not many expected Mulumba to make the team, let alone play a role in the season.
4) Player’s highlights/low-lights: Well, the earliest highlight for Mulumba was just making the team thanks to a strong showing in the preseason. He also had a key fumble recovery in the tie against the Minnesota Vikings and recorded a crucial sack in the see saw battle in the Week 17 matchup against the Chicago Bears that the Packers won to clinch the NFC North title. His lowlight, like much of the Packers’ defense, is in failing to generate a pass rush and letting Colin Kaepernick make critical runs in the postseason defeat to the San Francisco 49ers.
5) Player’s contribution to the overall team success: Since Mulumba was not expected to contribute anything on the field this season, he definitely exceeded a lot of expectations. He was basically thrown into the fire due to injuries and held his own in the least ideal of circumstances for an undrafted rookie. He played solid in coverage when needed but struggled in run defense and as a pass rusher.
6) Player’s contributions in the playoffs: Mulumba had one assisted tackle during the playoff loss to the 49ers. He was part of a linebacker unit that could not contain Kaepernick in crucial situations
Season Report Card:
(C) Level of expectations met during the season
(C) Contributions to team’s overall success.
(D) Contributions to team during the playoffs
Overall Grade: C-——————
Kris Burke is a sports writer covering the Green Bay Packers for AllGreenBayPackers.com and WTMJ in Milwaukee. He is a member of the Pro Football Writers of America (PFWA) and his work has been linked to by sites such as National Football Post and CBSSports.com. Follow @KrisLBurke