Jamari Lattimore 2013 Green Bay Packers Evaluation and Report Card
1) Introduction: You know how the backup quarterback is the most popular player on a bad team? Angry fans want the bum of a starter bench and are convinced that the backup QB can come in and save the season. Lattimore was the backup quarterback of the Packers defense for a stretch this season. Fans thought the starters stunk, and Lattimore was the answer.
2) Profile: Jamari Lattimore
- Age: 25
- Born: 10/6/88 in Miami, FL
- Height: 6’2″
- Weight: 237
- College: Middle Tennessee State
- Rookie Year: 2011
- NFL Experience: 3 years
- Career Stats and more
3) Expectations coming into the season: Play on special teams. If you’re judging Lattimore only on his special teams contribution, he had a good season.But he was forced into the starting lineup after Brad Jones got hurt in October and the results were mixed. Lattimore did look a savior early, but faded late.
4) Player’s highlights/low-lights: According to Pro Football Focus, Lattimore totaled 13 “stops” over a five-game stretch in October. He only managed three stops the rest of the season. Lattimore looked explosive rushing the passer and one of the few Packers defenders who could lay a hit on a running back in October. Come November and December, Lattimore looked slow to react and not nearly as explosive. He did deal with some injuries later in the season, so maybe that slowed him down.
5) Player’s contribution to the overall team success: When Lattimore filled in for Jones in October, you never even knew Jones was gone. He looked like another Ted Thompson “who is this guy?” success story. That optimism faded later in the season, but maybe it’ll return again in 2014.
6) Player’s contributions in the playoffs: Lattimore didn’t play any snaps from scrimmage in the playoff loss to San Francisco and assisted on two tackles on special teams duty.
Season Report Card:
(C+) Level of expectations met during the season
(C) Contributions to team’s overall success.
(C-) Contributions to team during the playoffs
Overall Grade: C——————
Kris Burke is a sports writer covering the Green Bay Packers for AllGreenBayPackers.com and WTMJ in Milwaukee. He is a member of the Pro Football Writers of America (PFWA) and his work has been linked to by sites such as National Football Post and CBSSports.com. Follow @KrisLBurke