1) Introduction: Entering 2012, Mike McCarthy was riding high as the head coach of the Green Bay Packers. He won a Super Bowl in 2010 and followed that up with a 15-1 season in 2011. It was the most successful two-year stretch the Packers have had since the 1996 and 1997 seasons. Despite the stunning finish in the loss to the Giants in the playoffs, many expected the Packers to be right in the thick of things again in 2012.
Michael John McCarthy
- Age: 49
- Born: 11/10/1963, in Pittsburgh, PA
- Rookie Year: 2006 (as a head coach)
- NFL Head Coaching Experience: 7 years
(3) Expectations coming into the season: The Packers offense was a juggernaut in 2011 so expectations were high for McCarthy as the offensive play caller going into 2012. The Packers had a relatively smooth 2011 without much adversity unlike the 2010 Super Bowl winning team so it was worth watching what would happen with the 2012 team should it hit some speed bumps.
The Packers were hoping also to establish more of a running game and that was clear when the team signed Cedric Benson in training camp. McCarthy also was expected to keep airing the ball out on offense though with hopefully a bit more balance.