Green Bay Packers NFL Draft prospect profile: DT Jesse Williams
Jesse Williams, DT Alabama
6-4, 320 pounds
Hometown: Brisbane, Australia
STATS: College stats
Bench press: 30 reps
News and Notes:
Didn’t start playing football until he was 15 years old. … Played rugby and basketball before football. … Started career at Alabama as a five-technique DE before moving to nose tackle his senior season. … Totaled 37 tackles and two half sacks as a NT. … Also lined up as Alabama’s fullback in goal line packages. … Blocked a kick his senior season. … Has several tattoos, one of which on his hand says, “I stopped checking for monsters under the bed when I realized the monster is me.”
What they’re saying about him:
- NFL.com: “Williams uses his size, consistent motor and supreme toughness to drain his opponents at the point of attack. His best NFL position is likely at nose tackle, but Williams has enough athleticism to play multiple spots for a 3-4 team at the next level.”
- Bleacher Report: “One of the biggest and strongest interior linemen in this year’s draft, Jesse Williamshas been an anchor for Nick Saban’s Crimson Tide defense for the last two years. There is extensive film of him playing both nose tackle and defensive end in Alabama’s 3-4, and he has experience with one and two gap techniques. He isn’t the athlete or pass rusher Marcel Dareus was coming out, but he is much quicker, lighter on his feet, and more explosive than Terrance Cody, who is currently with the Ravens.”
- Reminds me of a tree stump. Looks ordinary enough, but you can’t move the damn thing.
- I didn’t see any plays on this clip where Williams gets blown off the ball.
- Effort, motor, hustle, intestinal fortitude, whatever you want to call it, Williams has it. He’s not going to give up on plays.
- Also like a tree stump, Williams isn’t very quick. You’re not going to see many plays where he splits a double team and brings down a running back by himself for a loss. Strenth is the name of Williams’ game.
- I can’t see him being a factor in the pass rush at all. You could probably call Williams Ryan Pickett, Jr.