Green Bay Packers draft prospect profile: Rueben Randle, WR, LSU
- Rueben Randle, WR, Louisiana St.
- 6-foot-3, 208 lbs
- Was nearly drafted to play baseball.
- 4.55 40yd dash
- 4.36 20 yard shuttle
- 6.99 3-cone drill
- 121″ broad jump
- 31.0″ vertical jump
- 15 bench press reps
News & Notes:
Didn’t fare well in the 40-yard dash at the combine, but showed good hands. … Unimpressive college stats due to LSU’s focus on the running game. … Averaged 18.1 yards per catch in 2011. … Savvy route-runner, good size. … Strong work ethic, willing to put in the time to get better. … Might lack the speed necessary to get past top CBs in the NFL.
What they’re saying about him:
Mike Detillier (mikedetillier.com): “Fall in love with the football player. Don’t fall in love with the workout guy. That workout guy is going to get your a– fired. That football player is going to help you win a lot of games. Rueben Randle is a football player.”
Ian R. Rapport (Bostonhearld.com): “Rueben Randle certainly didn’t hurt his stock by his performance at the combine. He’s still considered one of the top five receivers in the draft, likely to be taken late in the first round.”
Doug Farrar (The Shutdown Corner): “Tends to disappear against stronger defenses, through this is due in part to LSU’s generally conservative game plans against such teams (19.9 passes per game for LSU in 2011, versus 42.2 rushing attempts per game). Doesn’t have elite speed, but his sense of the field should make up for that. Occasionally gets too acrobatic when an economy of motion would serve him well; NFL technique work should help a lot.”
- Reminds me of James Jones, good size, a little clumsy, talented
- Goes up and gets the ball nicely
- Most reports I read knocked his lack of speed, but defenders appear to play off of him, respecting his speed
- Then again, this was a highlight video. Highlight videos don’t show WRs getting blanketed by CBs
- The Packers will always need WRs, especially if Donald Driver is let go.
- Fans might grumble if Ted Thompson takes this kid late in the first round, but if he’s the best player out there, I say go for it