As the Green Bay Packers Training Camp unfolds, I am going to do my best to track the players along the depth chart. While things will certainly change over the course of the preseason, this gives us an idea of how the coaches are valuing the players.
Please note that this is not a projection, but rather a snapshot ranking based on observations of training camp practices. Those players seen on the first team units are obviously in the running for starting jobs, while those on second team units are still working their way up the ladder. And as we should all know by know, special teams roles will continue to play a part in how each player is valued.
Notes are provided after each position to help you understand why players were ranked as they are. Most of my information comes from the beat writers who have been watching practice, using their Twitter feeds and articles as references. Players in green have risen in the rankings since the last list, while players in red have fallen.
- If some Packers fans had their way, Harrell’s name would be replaced by McCoy.
- This big ado this week was the addition of veteran RB Cedric Benson. It’s unclear how he’s going to rank among the group, but with Starks out for a few weeks due to turf toe, Benson gets at least the number two spot right now. He’ll definitely challenge Green for the “starting” role.
- Saine will need about another week to nurse a hamstring injury, but I think the Packers still rank him above the two rookies.
- With Kuhn and Hoese both injured, Cooper was the only FB on the game day roster against the Browns. Kuhn was back at practice, though, on Sunday and remains the de facto starter.
* Quarless, Andrew
* Lair, Eric
- Finley returned to practice Sunday after missing both preseason games with a quad injury.
- With the addition of Benson came the placement of Lair on Injured Reserve (IR).