Packers prospect profile: RB Marion Grice
Marion Grice RB, Arizona State, 6-0, 208 pounds Hometown: Houston, TX
Personal Pro Day:
40 time: 4.61 (unofficial)
Vertical jump: 32″
225 lb. bench: 14 reps
Broad jump: 8′ 01″
News and Notes:
Did not participate in NFL Combine or ASU’s Pro Day workouts due to a leg injury suffered late last season. . .Second team All Pac-12 in 2013. . . scored 20 touchdowns in 2013, one of only fifteen backs in the Pac-10/12 to accomplish that feat in the last 36 seasons. . . 2013 Hornung award finalist (nation’s most versatile player). . .scored at least one touchdown in 10 straight games in 2013. . .507 kick return yards in 2013
What they’re saying about him:
- CBSSports.com: Shows good plant-and-go burst with the patience and instant acceleration to let defenders over-pursue before surging for positive yardage. Talented ballcarrier, willing blocker and reliable pass catcher out of the backfield. Isn’t the most impressive-looking prospect with a lean body type and upright running style. Needs to show more finishing toughness and lacks many distinguishable traits.
- NFL.com: Good balance and body control. Has loose ankles and very good lateral agility. Explosive one-cut ability. Displays vision and elusiveness in the open field. Sees the cutback and weaves in and out of traffic. Has some wiggle to shake tacklers in space. Good receiver — bursts into routes, adjusts to passes and has soft hands. Fumbled only once the last two seasons. Blue-collar work ethic. Solid character. Has a lean, narrow frame. Needs to bulk up and get stronger. Not equipped to pound between the tackles — gets tall inside and doesn’t push the pile (soft on contact). Weak tackle-breaker who cannot be counted on for yards after contact. Can become a more disciplined route runner. Questionable awareness in pass protection. Statistical production belies inconsistency.
- Has quickness and can elude tacklers despite a lack of burning speed
- Here’s the versatility: runner and pass catcher. Good hands and ability to find an open spot in passing game
- Very poor in pass protection and could be a liability in that area
- Has a decent burst through the hole but doesn’t create much for himself. Not always very decisive