1) Introduction: When Ryan Taylor was drafted in 2011, many wondered what the Packers were thinking. Could the team possibly head to training camp with five tight ends? They did and kept four in 2012 with Taylor once again among them. A special teams ace as much as anything else, Taylor showed enough in camp again to make the team’s 53-man roster heading into the regular season
Ryan Lawrence Taylor
- Age: 24
- Born: 11/16/1987, in Winston-Salem, NC
- Height: 6’3”
- Weight: 254
- Rookie Year: 2011
- NFL Experience: 2 years
(3) Expectations coming into the season: Taylor was expected to once again be mainly a special teams contributor. He only had one catch in his rookie year (though it was a touchdown) and the Packers had other options above Taylor as a receiving tight end and that was evident in Taylor only playing 130 offensive snaps all season.
4) Player’s highlights/low-lights: Just like his rookie year, Taylor only had one catch but this one was longer (11 yards) yet it wasn’t a touchdown. Taylor’s lowlight came in the form of a $21,000 fine in November for an illegal block against the Arizona Cardinals in Week 9.
5) Player’s contribution to the overall team success: Taylor was part of a special teams unit that featured some successful trick plays early in the season but other than that his impact was minimal.
6) Player’s contributions in the playoffs: None.